April 26 is National Golf Day
The 10th annual “National Golf Day” will be held on Wednesday, April 26 on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. WE ARE GOLF will meet with Members of Congress, the Executive Branch and federal agencies to discuss the game’s $70 billion economy, $4 billion charitable impact and many environmental and fitness benefits. Throughout the day, participants will share stories about the game’s 15,000-plus diverse businesses, the nearly two million jobs that are impacted by the industry, tax revenue creation, tourism and ecological value. You can celebrate National Golf Day by joining the conversation and helping spread the word online with the #NGD17 hashtag!
Carolinas PGA Vice President Brings Golf to St. James Elementary
Paige Cribb, Carolinas PGA Vice President and Director of Student Support in the Professional Golf Management Program at Coastal Carolina University, recently visited St. James Elementary School in Myrtle Beach, SC for its annual Career Day. She spent the day representing Coastal Carolina and teaching children about her role and the excitement that comes along with learning the game of golf. It was an exciting day for many young newcomers!
Are you interested in getting involved in golf and becoming a PGA Professional like Paige? The Carolinas PGA Section is proud to have five universities throughout North and South Carolina that offer PGA Golf Management Programs, which are managed by some of the most renowned PGA Professionals in our Section. Learn more about these exceptional universities and programs!
2017 Carolinas Junior PGA Championship
Registration for the 2017 Carolinas Junior PGA Championship is now open! Please note that registration must be completed online - we are not accepting phone-in registrations. This year's event will be held on June 24-25 at the Hackler Course at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, SC.
Golf Happenings Throughout The Carolinas
On Monday April 10, 2017 Area I PGA Professionals attended The Cliffs Communities Teaching Summit at the Mountain Park facility in Travelers Rest, SC. Host professionals Sean Kennedy, PGA Director of Instruction and Kevin Britt, PGA brought in special guests to discuss physical conditioning, short game and putting analysis teaching methods to the group of PGA professionals. What a great day of continuing education and player development for our Professionals!
Are you hosting an educational golf event this year?
Share the info and photos with us and we'll highlight it on our website, social media channels and newsletter as part of our new OpportuniTEES column! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about upcoming educational opportuniTEES hosted by the Section and our PGA Professionals, see here. Don't miss out on your upcoming Area Meeting!
New Educational Opportunities
In addition to our upcoming Area Meetings, don't miss out on these exciting, FREE MSR opportunities on PGA.org!
PGA REACH CAROLINAS is here!
Check out this new video supporting our junior golf initiatives as part of PGA Reach Carolinas and be sure to stay tuned for more updates and information about our progress and plans for the foundation!
Tag Those Photos!
PGA Professional Team Wins 23rd Tar Heel Cup
Two teams of the best playing amateurs and PGA Professionals from the state of North Carolina met for the 23rd time in a friendly team match play event called the Tar Heel Cup. River Landing Country Club located in Wallace, NC hosted this event for the third time on its River Course. For the first time since 2009, the PGA Professional team won the cup from the Amateurs with a total score of 9½ to 2½.
The PGA Professional team won each of the first day's four-ball matches where the better score of two partners for each hole counted. Each match was worth one point.
- Scooter Buhrman of Gates Four G&CC / Savio Nazareth of Starmount Forest CC won 3 & 2 over Josh Nichols (a) of High Point CC / David Sargent (a) Carolinas eClub Charlotte
- Chris Haarlow of Precision Golf School / Michael Hutcheon, a PGA Life Member, won 4 & 3 over Uly Grisette (a) of Forsyth CC / Lionell Sutton (a) of Walnut Creek CC
- Larry George of River Landing CC / Cory Schneider of Pointe Lake & GC won 4 & 2 over David Gies (a) of Quail Hollow Club / Dustin Moore (a) of Alamance CC
- Nick Jacobi of Monroe CC / Matt Vick of Pinehurst CC No. 9 won 1 Up over Scott Harvey (a) of Sedgefield CC / Paul Tucker (a) of The Club at Longview
Day two featured singles matches.
- Cory Schneider of The Pointe Lake & GC won 2 & 1 over Uly Grisette (a) of Forsyth CC
- Savio Nazareth of Starmount Forest CC and Scott Harvey (a) of Sedgefield CC halved their match
- Chris Haarlow of Precision Golf School and David Gies (a) of Quail Hollow Club halved their match
- Larry George of River Landing CC won 2 & 1 over David Sargent (a) of Carolinas eClub Charlotte
- Scooter Buhrman of Gates Four G&CC and Lionell Sutton (a) of Walnut Creek CC halved their match
- Josh Nichols (a) of High Point CC won 1 Up over Nick Jacobi of Monroe CC
- Matt Vick of Pinehurst CC No. 9 won 1 Up over Dustin Moore (a) of Alamance CC
- Michael Hutcheon, a PGA Life Member, won 1 Up over Paul Tucker (a) of The Club at Longview
The first team with 6½ points wins the Tar Heel Cup. The PGA Professionals now hold an all-time lead of 14-6-3.
Both the Carolinas PGA and the Carolinas Golf Association extend their sincere thanks to the members and staff of River Landing for their incredible hospitality.
Junior Golfer Places at DCP National Finals
We're so excited to see one of our DCPers place at the Drive Chip and Putt National Finals held at Augusta this past weekend.
Clinton Daly of Charlotte, NC took second place in the boys 12-13 age group Driving a 6, Chipping a 9 and Putting a 9 to a total score of 24. His victory at the regional and subregional levels in 2016 afforded him the opportunity to participate in the national finals championship the Saturday before the Masters. Way to go, Clinton and congratulations on your win!
2017 Area Meeting Schedule
Our 2017 Area Meeting Schedule is Now Available! Info: www.carolinas.pga.com/education